Creating Major Change: An Eight-Step Process
Dave Carlson - March 11, 2009
- Establish a Sense of Urgency
- Examine the market and competitive realities.
- Identify and discuss crises, potential crisis, or major opportunities.
- Create the Guiding Coalition
- Put together a group with enough power to lead the change.
- Get the group to work together like a team.
- Develop a Vision and Strategy
- Create a vision to help direct the change effort.
- Develop strategies to achieve that vision.
- Communicate the Change Vision
- Use every vehicle possible to constantly communicate the new vision and strategies.
- Have the guiding coalition role model the behavior expected of employees.
- Empower Broad-Based Action
- Get rid of obstacles.
- Change systems or structures that undermine the change vision.
- Encourage risk taking and nontraditional ideas, activities, and actions.
- Generate Short-Term Wins
- Plan for visible improvements in performance, or ďwins.Ē
- Create those wins
- Visibly recognize and reward people who make the wins possible.
- Consolidate Gains and Produce More Change
- Use increased credibility to change all systems, structures, and policies that donít fit together and donít fit the transformation vision.
- Hire, promote, and develop new people who can implement the change vision.
- Reinvigorate the process with new projects, themes, and change agents.
- Anchor New Approaches in the Culture
- Create better performance through customer-oriented and productivity-oriented behavior, more and better leadership, and more effective management.
- Articulate the connections between new behaviors and organizational success.
- Develop means to ensure leadership development and succession.